Acuity Care at The Kensington Reston
The best decision you can make for you and your loved one.
Moving a loved one to an assisted living community is an emotionally charged process with many moving parts. Our owners, leadership, and teams—who have worked in and around seniors for most of their careers—never met a family who wanted to walk through the experience twice. So, from a place of deep understanding and in the spirit of thoughtful service, The Kensington Reston offers an enhanced wellness program and care model. The Kensington approach encompasses high acuity care levels that allow residents to age in place.
Our Enhanced Assisted Living Care
Our model enables us to provide not only traditional assisted living support but also a full spectrum of clinical care that addresses challenging medical conditions. We are trained and staffed to welcome residents whose care needs are complicated, and we don’t ask them to leave if their care needs become more complex over time.
We believe the comfort of familiarity is precious and an important contribution to the well-being of our residents. As a result, we have ensured our ability to help them easily and comfortably make The Kensington their home for as long as they choose.
We are able and willing to assist residents who need:
- Hoyer Lift to support safer transfers
- Wound care
- Insulin injections
- Specialized diets, including pureed, for easier swallowing
- Assistance due to movement disorders, and
- Enhanced memory care support.
Our Ability to Care for Seniors Who Need Specialized Assistance
Higher Level of Professional Staff and Partnerships
Our team is one of our proudest contributions to share. We hire and continually train talented professionals with sharp minds and big hearts. We seek out team members who are highly skilled in their areas of expertise and who are driven to serve.
- Our nursing team includes two full-time RNs. Nurses are on-site throughout the day and night to provide for all levels of acuity care.
- Designated activities coordinators for Assisted Living and each Memory Care neighborhood enrich our residents lives through creative programming that evolves to encompass and highlight our residents’ talents and interests.
- Certified care managers are individually partnered with our residents to support their ongoing needs with services that are clinically comprehensive and personalized.
- Geropsychiatric services are offered on-site by leading behavioral health professionals and memory care experts.
- Designated Medical Director
Preventive and Proactive Physical Care
We take a preventative and proactive approach when caring for our residents. Our specialized programs are designed to help guard against illness, preserve physical strength and boost morale.
- Rehabilitative therapies—physical, occupational, and speech—are located on-site, which makes them easy to access with greater frequency.
- Clinical support for our residents includes functional assessments; falls and balance assessments; wellness seminars; and fitness classes to promote stability and increase strength.
- Hydration stations are located throughout the community, and we offer hydration individually several times a day to prevent dehydration.
- We track weight and blood pressures monthly, or weekly for at-risk residents, to look for changes that signal the potential for an underlying condition.
- We are equipped to assist residents with high acuity care for chronic challenges including but not limited to congestive heart failure, diabetes, incontinence, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, Lewy body dementia, and frontal lobe dementia.
Two-Tiered Cognitive Care Approach
We specialize in two tiers of memory care support, delivered by caregivers who are specially trained in each phase of Alzheimer’s or dementia progression.
- Our high caregiver-to-resident ratio means more supervision and companionship for residents in the highest acuity dementia neighborhood.
- Cognitive stimulating programs incorporate techniques and games to improve and maintain memory function and foster social communication.
- We use music as a vehicle for connection and a bridge to our residents’ memories and to each other.
- Pets help decrease anxiety and increase interaction with others.
- Pocket programming, or customized, small-group activities cater to each resident’s unique interests and offers options for engagement throughout the day.
Collaborative Partner Approach
We do best what we know best. But when we need specific insight, services, or expertise, then we appeal to our wide network of specialty providers.
- We partner with trusted specialty experts whenever necessary to help guide our decisions.
- We provide educational programs led by our community professional partners and certified leadership team to keep our families current about topics such as advances in treatment protocols, preferred care regimens, and financial or legal decision-making.
- Our full-time healthcare team, rehabilitative staff, along with our medical director, work side-by-side to proactively manage our residents’ changing conditions in order to avoid unsettling crises.
Caring for older adults who are not feeling well or who have multiple medical conditions requires expertise, vigilance, agility, patience, and devotion. We are proud to share that our team here at The Kensington Reston embodies a blend of these qualities. Together, we are committed to taking innovative and progressive steps to make life for our frail residents as joyful, comfortable, and safe as possible.