Join one of our virtual job fairs to learn more about the Driver position and other opportunities at The Kensington Reston. Click HERE to schedule an interview with someone from our team.
The Driver is responsible for managing the transportation schedule safely transporting residents, families, and team members to locations outside of the community on a timely basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Safely and lawfully operates motor vehicles that are authorized to transport residents, families and team members. Under no circumstances is a personal vehicle to be used for transporting resident on company business.
- Understands how to fully operate each vehicle and associated equipment s/he is assigned to drive. Is responsible to fill out logs as required, identifies maintenance issues with vehicles, and participates in developing and ensuring effective preventative maintenance.
- Manages resident transportation schedule process. Ensures coordination with Concierge and neighborhood Activities Coordinators, Care and Nursing Staff so that residents’ transportation needs are met on a timely basis.
- Demonstrates patience and good nature when assisting residents with their transportation needs and with other drivers. Assists residents in with mobility and transfers to and from vehicles as needed.
- Ensures that vehicles are kept spotlessly clean inside and out at all times. Completes safety checks before operating company vehicles including but not limited to turn signals, brake signals, lights, windshield wipers, horn, and seat belts.
- Develops clear sense of direction and traffic patterns and demonstrates the ability to reach any location with a minimum of wasted time.
- Embraces the role of ambassador for The Kensington when s/he is out in the community. Is unfailingly polite and non-aggressive as a driver.
- Maintains a clear driving record with no moving violations.
- Participates in other professional development activities as required.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Must have excellent verbal skills and communication abilities.
- Ability to work effectively within a team based environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate safe driving abilities.
- Ability to safe operate vehicle lift equipment.
- Ability to assist residents with transfers in an out of vehicles and with mobility as needed.
- Must be able to clearly and proficiently communicate with people of all ages and abilities, displaying consideration of their rights and sensitivities, while maintaining an energetic, positive attitude.
- Must be able to read and write English, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance and follow the dress code as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings.
- Be in good health, and physically and mentally capable of performing assigned tasks.
- Demonstrates freedom from pulmonary tuberculosis by a health screening performed by a physician not more than (6) months prior to or (7) days after employment
- Must be cleared in a criminal background check administered in the state of Virginia.
- Experience in similar position with retirement living or home-care background is desirable but not required.
- High school diploma preferred
- Valid drivers’ license to in accordance with Virginia state law with no moving violations in the past 3 years
Mental and Physical Requirements:
- Requires ability to stand and walk short and long distances for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and/or carry objects in excess of 25 pounds.
- Requires reaching above, below, and at shoulder length
- Ability to remain calm and positive in stressful situations.