Join one of our virtual job fairs to learn more about the Dining Room Coordinator position and other opportunities at The Kensington Reston. Click HERE to schedule an interview with someone from our team.
The Dining Room Coordinator is responsible ensuring courteous and professional serving of residents and their guests’ meals and for maintaining clean and orderly food service areas. This position is a key person in public relations for the community due to the importance of dining in the daily lives of residents and the direct contact with the residents and guests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attends tasting and menu classes to receive instructions on proper handling, storage, portioning, plating, and serving of food items.
- Performs pre-opening and closing checklist duties including set up of service areas, setting dining room tables, placing menus, refilling supplies, organizing serving utensils, and clearing/stacking of china glass and silver.
- Provides overall supervision of dining operations during meal periods. Responsible for delivering7 food, coordinating mise en place, and stocking of refrigerators and pantries in all dining serveries.
- Presents menu items to diners in a knowledgeable manner, takes orders, plates items, delivers beverages, appetizers, entrees, sides, and deserts in a professional manner. Directs efforts of caregivers in providing meal service.
- Assists residents with special dietary needs as appropriate and ensures that wait staff is knowledgeable of all residents’ dietary needs, preferences and restrictions.
- Maintains diner’s tables by removing used plates promptly, clearing debris, cleaning spills, refreshing beverages, and replenishing condiments as needed.
- Informs supervisory staff of food needs and resident questions and/or concerns that they are unable to answer.
- Participates in setting up, serving and break down of special functions, and maintenance of 24 hour beverage and snack service.
- Performs special duties as assigned such as performing food preparation or utility tasks.
- Attends training courses and participates in other professional development activities as required.
- Report any suspicion or evidence of elder abuse, mistreatment or neglect as outlined in Personnel Policies.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Must have excellent verbal skills and communication abilities.
- Ability to work effectively within a team based environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Must possess general knowledge of proper table setting and serving.
- Ability to follow diet instructions and menus.
- Must be able to clearly and proficiently communicate with people of all ages and abilities, displaying consideration of their rights and sensitivities, while maintaining an energetic, positive attitude.
- Must be able to read and write English, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance and follow the dress code as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings.
- Be in good health, and physically and mentally capable of performing assigned tasks.
- Demonstrates freedom from pulmonary tuberculosis by a health screening performed by a physician not more than (6) months prior to or (7) days after employment
- Must be cleared in a criminal background check administered in the state of Virginia.
- Experience in a similar position in a retirement living setting is preferred.
- High school education is preferred.
- Certified in safe food handling.
Mental and Physical Requirements:
- Requires ability to stand and walk short and long distances for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and/or carry objects in excess of 25 pounds.
- Requires bending at knees, twisting from side to side at the waist, and reaching above, below and at shoulder length.
- Must be able to push 200 lbs. on a cart with casters.
- High degree of safety awareness as work environment involves potential physical risks that include cuts from utensils, burns, falls due to wet floors, quick temperature changes in and out of refrigeration areas and around steam tables
- Ability to remain calm and positive in stressful situations.